Wednesday, February 3, 2010

High-speed Bullet Trains

I am very glad that President Obama in his State of the Union speech last week endorsed upgrading our railway system and developing high-speed bullet trains. The United States definitely needs this form of modern rail transportation, which many other countries already have.
An article, “US bullet trains to the rescue,” published in the January 31, 2010 print edition of The Christian Science Monitor points out that the technology for high-speed rail trains already exists. The magazine reports that “it‘s underrated, underutilized, and often overlooked.”
I think high-speed rail transportation represents the future. It can save oil, save people time, and get people from major city to major city fast and efficiently. Travelers will spend much less time getting from the city to the airport and waiting around the airport once they get there. ITrain schedules are also less likely to be disrupted by bad weather. Once on a train, a passenger can use the time to do work, read a book or newspaper, write letters or simply stare out the window, whatever he or she needs to do.
True, the President is allocating $8 billion for high-speed rail, and we need billions more. But this is a beginning. The Interstate highway system was not built in a few years but under President Eisenhow, the nation made a start. I am hoping that now under President Obama, we can make a big start in building a high speed rail transportation system.

3 comments:

  1. You might enjoy, if yoiu can find it, there is a collection out of MIKE SHAYNE DVD's that star LLOYD NOLAN and one particular one is SLEEPERS WEST which is a movie set mostly on a train to California. Mantan Morland is in it but not credited as far as I can tell. You will also see old crank telephones,etc. and cars,etc. that will perhaps bring back nostalgic memories. BY THE WAY, do you recall ARMSTRONG SANDWICHES sold trainside at stations on the way to Mass? I do. They tasted good and were wrapped in was paper. You might enjoy a couple of books by CS NOTT called TEACHINGS OF GURDJIEFF & THE JOURNAL OF A PUPIL. The latter has some things about his stay and life in Vermont, around Putney School,etc. Take care and keep in touch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you seen the magazine/book out on the stands called THE 100 BEST TRAIN MOVIES or something like it? Some of the movies there are some of my 'favorites' and others I don't care much for but recognize the impact they have had in many ways on modern thinking. Shirlie Blaney is mentioned in several articles in the Eagle Times,Valley News, and in a book I have.. I was in Windsor Sunday and ate at LAURA & STUBBS, which used to be the old A & W there and met a waitress who works there and she is decorating the wall with historic items of Windsor for one of the walls.We had a very nice discussion of Windsor when she found out I had not been in the place before but had passed by it many times and also that I was born in Windsor, same as she was,at the old Windsor hospital on Main St. Hope you can check out my blogs especially Writer's Cramp as I 've posted some more on JD. Am now a member of the Claremont Senior Center on Maple Ave after having dropped the membership some years back because of my work hours,etc. Now I can get to the computers here and make some use of them and blog more. Incidentally, most bloggers are not teenagers and young people but 'oldtimers' and so forth. Have to dash.Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You need to update this. I have also added a link to this blog on the Eagle Times FACEBOOK PAGE...keep up the good work. thanks, Halford

    ReplyDelete