My name is Andy Clark and welcome to my newly-created blog The Amtrak Traveler. I got the idea for this, naturally enough, while riding AMTRAK across country last summer to California. I chose the northern route and took The Empire Builder from Chicago to Portland, OR, where I had a four-hour wait. Fortunately I have friends in Portland, and we went out lunch at a beautiful restaurant overlooking the harbor. The food was good, too, and reasonably priced.
From their I took the train to Los Angeles, where relatives greeted me.
A few weeks later I boarded the Southwest Chief for Chicago and then Capital Limited to Washington, D.C., to visit other relatives. And finally a few weeks later I board the train for Boston and home.
The journey was my third roundtrip cross country by Amtrak. The first two I made in summer 1989 and spring 1990.
While I was riding on the Southwest Chief, I was thinking about thank you letters I would write to my friends in California after I got home. The words The Amtrak Traveler popped into my head. I reminded me of a song we used to sing when I was a kid: The Arkansas Traveler. I think probably unconsciously my mind was playing on the sound of this old song's title and which somehow, in some mysterious way must have inspired the phrase, The Amtrak Traveler. Then I thought it might make a good blog. So I decided to create one.
I have never blogged before, so this is a novel experience for me. I will have to learn how to use this type of computer program and it will probably take me a while.
My blog is for anyone who travels frequently or infrequently by Amtrak and wants to comment on their experiences; and its also for anyone who wants to comment about their experiences or tell about trips taken by other modes of travel, or compare modes of travel.
All I ask is that anyone who posts a comment be polite and courteous and civil.
I will tell more about travels later. Right now I have to get to work.
Thank you very much for making me the very first viewer of your BLOG! I really appreciate your efforts on this. As you develop this you can add other topics as you go along. You can also add, if I am not mistaken, some photos and set up some links to site you follow or admire or like enough to have others look at, and you can also arrange other blogs to list. As you progress in this effort, more doors will perhaps open up for you. Keep up the good work,ANDY, and you might also create a topic strictly confined to train and rail travel,etc. Halford
ReplyDeleteHere is my second comment. Simply go down to the comment word below the topic, click onto to it and this section should appear with a blank space in which to type, as I am presently doing now. Then you can preview the comment you make and edit it at that time or change things and correct spellings if you are meticulous,etc. Then click onto post comment and it will appear on the blog. I will do this now. Then you will have to click onto the comment section to see it. Got both your e-mails. Keep up the good work. Halford PS: You can list any of my blogs on your blogs that I follow section at the end of your profile page.YOu can also go to the DASHOARD and do things there if I am not mistaken. You can also put links or websites you like or want to follow and so forth there as well on the blog following sections. Halford
ReplyDeleteI had trouble posting \teh above comment and then went to google account and entered my e-mail address and password when asked to sign in so probably you should be already signed in to your blog before mine and then work from there. Halford
ReplyDeleteOnce signed in, then you will have to enter the key word into the space provided as it appears to you and thten click onto post comment to get it entered in on the topic page. Halford
ReplyDeleteProbably you are now aware that our classmate, Dorothy Ryan Luce has passed awayat age 73 from cancer.Calling hours for her will be tommorrow from 5-8 pm and her funeral on Christmas Day. I knew she was not good when I happened to see Art in Rite Aide one night. She will be missed and in her obituary she has had a life of accomplishment, something that those who claim Stevens doesn't give an 'adequate education should take a look at.
ReplyDeleteI went to the Stringer Funeral Home last night and extended my condolences to Art Luce and his son,John, to Art's sister and to Dot's older,only remaining brother. I wasn't aware that she had gone to UNH and met ARt there as I do not remember here in my 1958 graduating class so she may have gone there after I did or graduated after I did. Have to dash now. Try and post more topics when you have time. Have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
ReplyDelete